Monday, June 10, 2013

'The decision to kiss for the first time is the most crucial in any love story. It changes the relationship of two people much more strongly than even the final surrender; because the kiss already has within it that surrender.' - Emily Ludwig. I couldn't agree more. I have books where I write quotes that are meaningful or inspire me. I was flicking through one of them when I came across this quote. So began the inspiration for this blog post.

'The Kiss', I believe can change everything. Kissing with the right person is an art form, it's a language that requires no words just feeling. Granted not everyone you kiss is life altering, but there are those kisses which are, so much so it's inspired poetry, art, sculptures, photography, songs and many a great love story told and untold. Enjoy.......



The forehead kiss is supposed to symbolise adoration. Women love to be adored, in the picture above her eyes closed and the way she pulls at his suit for me is telling, this isn't a feeling she wants to let go of.


Not many words are needed. It exudes desire, passion, love, being uninhibited, it's sexy, there is a connection here and no need for vulnerability. I love that she's wearing the top half of his pj's and he the bottom half.





The Kiss from The Notebook

The Notebook is one of the most romantic stories of a love enduring. Three hundred and sixty-five letters and seven years having being separated this love clearly wasn't over for them. The picture captures their longing after the wait. Her emotions are so heightened she's crying and kissing him at the same time. Their love is oblivious to the weather, they just have to have each other. 



The Famous V-J Day Kiss in Times Square by Alfred Eisenstaedt 

'I was walking through the crowds on V-J (victory over Japan) Day, looking for pictures. I noticed a sailor coming my way. He was grabbing every female he could find and kissing them all — young girls and old ladies alike. Then I noticed the nurse, standing in that enormous crowd. I focused on her, and just as I'd hoped, the sailor came along, grabbed the nurse, and bent down to kiss her. Now if this girl hadn't been a nurse, if she'd been dressed dark clothes, I wouldn't have had a picture. The contrast between her white dress and the sailor's dark uniform gives the photograph its extra impact.' Eisenstaedt


The power to make one feel like a teenage or a school boy a special kiss can make one feel young again.



Enough said ;)



The Kiss by Gustav Klimt

I studied art as one of my G.C.S.E subjects and this was one of the images that made a lasting impression on me. The picture depicting a couple in a warm embrace with the man kissing the woman was to me, one of Klimt's finest pieces from his 'Golden Period'. The gold leaf which he used made the image and their love even more striking, stunning and ceremonious. On closer inspection, you can see the tenderness of the kiss in the way their hands are placed. I love how he holds her face and she puts her hands over his, suffice to say they are wrapped up in love and opulence.

"I have never painted a self-portrait. I am less interested in myself as a subject for a painting than I am in other people, above all women... There is nothing special about me. I am a painter who paints day after day from morning to night... Who ever wants to know something about me... ought to look carefully at my pictures." -Klimt in a Commentary on a non-existent self-portrait.

"Just as only a lover can reveal to a man what life means to him and develop its innermost significance, I feel the same about these paintings."- Herman Bahr on Klimt

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter' Oscar Wide.

The last quote to me buttress' Klimt's earlier quote if you want to know him it is not in the appearance of his face but in his art.



The Kiss by The Hotel de Ville (1950)- Robert Doisneau

This became one of Doisneau's most famous pictures. His photographs were largely of anonymous people in everyday situations and often on the streets of Paris. It's almost hard to believe that this kiss was posed. The implicitly suggested spontaneity of the unaffected passersby, coupled with where the shot is being taken( inside a cafe over the shoulder of a man) makes it so believable. I love the timelessness of a black and white picture, so this for me is a favourite.

The marvels of daily life are so exciting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find in the street. – Robert Doisneau


The Book of The Kiss

The Book of the Kiss is a collection of quotes from various writers including D.H. Lawrence and H.G. Wells relating to the kiss. It is Illustrated with several fine eighteenth century engravings. This I must look for and add to my library! It would be a perfect treat to myself. :)


He didn't settle for a peck, he had to kiss her entire face! How cute



Top: L:'Coffee Kiss' by Tsang Cheung R: The Kiss 1889, Marble sculpture by Auguste Rodin
Bottom: L: Constantin Brancusi 1908 R: Novica Heartfelt Everlasting kiss

Caption this:
Top: L: Someone's jealous! R: A first kiss
Bottom: L: They come bearing gifts, must be worth the queue R: Capture this memory







To end, I will leave you with the lyrics from the song 'Besame Mucho' ('Kiss me a lot'/'Kiss me Much' 'Kiss me again and again') written in 1940 by Mexican songwriter Consuelo Velazquez. The song has been covered and recorded by many artists but my favourite version is Andrea Bocelli's from his Amore album, the lyric translations are seen below.


Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
As if tonight was
the last time.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you again.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
As if tonight was
the last time.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you again.

I want to have you very close
To see myself in your eyes,
To see you next to me,
Think that perhaps tomorrow
I already will be far,
very far from you.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
As if tonight was
the last time.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you again.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you again.

Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you again.






Popular Posts